Post  Brittany on Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

Here is a thread to discuss the women's preseason excitement! queen
Brittany
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

For whatever this may be worth...

Post  TYTKyle on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:16 am

...it sounds like the Lady Icers "promotions" to the 2012-13 varsity roster might be out by the end of the week, as they're presently conducting player meetings. Furthermore, much like with the men, there will be some club originals making it in. I don't want to betray any confidences, but this is all coming from someone who would definitely know.
TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Women 2012-13 Preseason Thread

Post  Brittany on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:21 am

Now that is exciting news! Hopefully by Blue-White Weekend we'll have the full rosters and schedules for the women's teams as well. cheers
Brittany
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amg424 on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 12:33 am

Brittany wrote:Now that is exciting news! Hopefully by Blue-White Weekend we'll have the full rosters and schedules for the women's teams as well. cheers

If I cannot get a men's game between Cornell and Penn State in the first year, I would settle gladly for a match-up between the women's programs.

amg424
Admin

View user profile http://prideofpegula.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Thu 19 Apr 2012, 5:10 am

I promise I won't spam the board up every time I make a post, but this one is legitimate news: Mo Stroemel is no longer associate coach and is now director of hockey operations/video coach.

http://thankyouterry.blogspot.com/2012/04/stroemel-reassigned-out-as-associate.html

If you don't want to read my writing (understandable), the support comes from a changed title on Stroemel's GoPSUSports page:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-hockey/mtt/stroemel_mo00.html

...as well as a university job posting for an assistant women's coach:

https://app2.ohr.psu.edu/Jobs/External/EVMS2_External/currentap1.cfm#36475
TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amg424 on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:45 pm

TYTKyle wrote:I promise I won't spam the board up every time I make a post, but this one is legitimate news: Mo Stroemel is no longer associate coach and is now director of hockey operations/video coach.

http://thankyouterry.blogspot.com/2012/04/stroemel-reassigned-out-as-associate.html

If you don't want to read my writing (understandable), the support comes from a changed title on Stroemel's GoPSUSports page:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-hockey/mtt/stroemel_mo00.html

...as well as a university job posting for an assistant women's coach:

https://app2.ohr.psu.edu/Jobs/External/EVMS2_External/currentap1.cfm#36475

I feel that your posts will become commonplace on here considering that they are one of the, if not the, best source(s) for insight into the Penn State hockey programs. So, if you don't post them, I am sure that someone else will. Smile

I have to admit that I don't know much about Stroemel's involvement with Penn State hockey. I am a newbie to the inner workings of Penn State over the last two seasons and specifically I've been more attentive over the last season specifically. I think the points you make about the shifting structure and responsibilities of Penn State hockey programs are right. The Stroemel situation is odd. I am not sure what to think of that, but the massive internal rearrangements and reassignments make sense. I believe that GG implied that more assistants would be hired and tasks would be more specified before "the jump" to NCAA Division I. It makes sense, Penn State will be entering a league with B1G Hockey programs that have fleets of coaches. I was shocked before Cornell's meeting with Michigan about how Michigan's coaches had very nuanced competencies that various assistant coaches have at Michigan. There is a head coach, general assistant coaches, goaltending coaches, video coaches, defensemen coaches, forwards coaches, and special teams coaches. I think that the specificity that Penn State seems to be imposing and the alteration of competencies make sense for entering competition in such a league. I worry about the other causalities of "the jump" much like I feel bad for the Icers who did not make it.

amg424
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Brittany on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 2:54 pm

It is interesting to me that they want this assistant coach to have goaltending expertise. Coming from a Cornell hockey background, I completely and utterly approve of this (even if the CU women's team is known more for their prolific offense than their very disciplined defense).

I'm hoping we'll have the full roster of women out soon. I can't wait to see a game with these women at the NCAA level. I honestly think they'll be competitive nationally with a very short turn around time.
Brittany
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amg424 on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 3:00 pm

Brittany wrote:I'm hoping we'll have the full roster of women out soon. I can't wait to see a game with these women at the NCAA level. I honestly think they'll be competitive nationally with a very short turn around time.

The Rise of the East: End WCHA Dominance of Women's Ice Hockey.

amg424
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Brittany on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 3:05 pm

amg424 wrote:
Brittany wrote:I'm hoping we'll have the full roster of women out soon. I can't wait to see a game with these women at the NCAA level. I honestly think they'll be competitive nationally with a very short turn around time.

The Rise of the East: End WCHA Dominance of Women's Ice Hockey.
Yes, PLEASE!!! I need a nice, East Coast team to root for. Ideal Frozen Four: PSU, Cornell, BU, BC. Harvard 's women as well as Mercyhurst and newly St. Lawrence's are often very competitive as well. It's sad that the only winners since women's hockey has been an NCAA sponsored sport are Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, and Wisconsin.

Don't even get me started on the frozen four games the last three years and how disappointed in the results I was.
Brittany
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amg424 on Sat 21 Apr 2012, 11:17 am

Comments from the groundbreaking event from Brandwene, Weaver, and Desorcie of the women's ice hockey program.

amg424
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Brittany on Mon 23 Apr 2012, 11:26 pm

amg424 wrote:Comments from the groundbreaking event from Brandwene, Weaver, and Desorcie of the women's ice hockey program.
Wonderful videos!! Smile

So, since the women and men are both not eligible for the NCAA tournament the first two years (which seems WILDLY unfair), do we think the women will get a decent OOC schedule this year?? I'm waiting on tenterhooks for them to announce!!
Brittany
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Fri 18 May 2012, 2:03 pm

amg424 wrote:I have to admit that I don't know much about Stroemel's involvement with Penn State hockey.
The expression "good soldier" was more or less coined with him in mind. He's basically done just about everything there is to do as a Penn State hockey coach, moving around wherever needed for the last 20 years with little fanfare but lots of effectiveness. He actually tried out for the Icers as a student in the late 70s but didn't make it. He returned as a faculty member in the theater department in the early 90s and was on the Ice Lions staff from their inception, becoming head coach in 1996. He led them to their only two ACHA D2 Frozen Fours ever, then became Battista's top assistant with the Icers from I think 2004-07 before coaching the Lady Icers for four seasons, becoming Josh Brandwene's lead assistant last season, and now director of ops/video coach.

Sorry if I fudged some of the years, too lazy to hit up my program archives today!

Last edited by TYTKyle on Fri 18 May 2012, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Fri 18 May 2012, 2:15 pm

TYTKyle wrote:...it sounds like the Lady Icers "promotions" to the 2012-13 varsity roster might be out by the end of the week, as they're presently conducting player meetings. Furthermore, much like with the men, there will be some club originals making it in. I don't want to betray any confidences, but this is all coming from someone who would definitely know.
Since I booted this one pretty horribly, and since I imagine nobody cares if I spill anymore...

Tess Weaver, Jess Desorcie, Taylor Gross, Lindsay Reihl, Kate Christoffersen and Madison Smiddy are the six Lady Icers who will be on the team next year. Sources are the parents of two of them, two of the players directly, and another Lady Icer who will not be making the jump. A few others (including, shockingly, goalie Katie Vaughan, who kept them in games they didn't deserve to be in last year) were given maybes.

It's safe to say that the roster will be around 26-27. The men's roster numbers 27, and PSU's Title IX guy has been quoted by the Collegian as saying they can't fudge the roster number by more than difference of one. He said MAYBE two, but that's pushing it. There are 16 known recruits (http://thankyouterry.blogspot.com/p/current-commitments-women.html), which leaves 4-5 spots for unknown recruits and those maybes. With Celine Whitlinger the only goalie of the first 22, it's safe to say that a couple of those last spots will be tendies, hopefully including Vaughan.

Last edited by TYTKyle on Fri 18 May 2012, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Fri 18 May 2012, 2:27 pm

One other note, although file it under "gossip/rumors:"

I was recently followed on Twitter by someone named Casey McCullion. I did some stalker work and discovered that she was a four-year starting goalie at Holy Cross (2003-07). Following graduation, she coached at Kingswood-Oxford School in Connecticut from 2008-11, which happen to be the exact same years someone named Josh Brandwene was at the school. Brandwene coached the girls team there from 2008-10, then coached the boys in his last year with McCullion taking over the girls for that one season (I assume she was his assistant before that, but even the mighty internet has limitations).

She left KO to finish her MA in elementary education at UPenn (she's a Philly native), which I believe she just received on Monday (her LinkedIn page says "2012 anticipated"). Who has commencement on a Monday?

Anyway, that sounds suspiciously like she's qualified to be an assistant coach at PSU. If she ever accepts my follow back request, I'll ask her directly (I didn't find any other way to contact her, unfortunately).
TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brittany on Fri 18 May 2012, 8:34 pm

Ooh, intriguing. Does she have goalie experience?
Brittany
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Sat 19 May 2012, 3:36 am

Brittany wrote:Ooh, intriguing. Does she have goalie experience?
Four years of playing it at Holy Cross. So yeah, check.
TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brittany on Sat 19 May 2012, 3:51 am

That makes me even more excited!!
Brittany
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amg424 on Sun 20 May 2012, 4:34 am

Great video from the Penn State Coaches Caravan with clips from GG and Brandwene.

amg424
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 1:54 am

I won't brag about this because I didn't earn it by scooping media relations (for realsies, meaning with confirmation and a TYT post), but here's the press release announcing McCullion's hire.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-hockey/spec-rel/060412aab.html
TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top