Gross Named Captain; Women's Hockey Adds 12 to Roster

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gross Named Captain; Women's Hockey Adds 12 to Roster

Post  TYTKyle on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 2:54 am

Full release: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-hockey/spec-rel/053112aaa.html

Roster: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-hockey/mtt/psu-w-hockey-mtt.html

TYT post pirat : http://thankyouterry.blogspot.com/2012/05/inaugural-ncaa-womens-roster-announced.html

I have no clue how PSU will do this year, but I know this: we already have a better program than UConn. First Taylor Gross, now two more transfers: G Nicole Paniccia and F Jenna Welch. I did some quick research and found that at least six other players have left the program prematurely in the last two years (three were definite transfers, I'm not sure about the others). I actually checked to make sure they didn't drop the sport or something. Paniccia in particular did pretty well on a terrible team last year, and given that she's the only goalie with NCAA experience on the roster, I have to think she's your opening-night starter.

The other player not on my radar until now is Brooke Meyer, another goalie. I couldn't find that much on her, but she went to Tier II U18AAA nationals last year as the backup goalie on her boys club team. She also played boys hockey at her high school (there's a nice video feature on it in the TYT post). Playing with boys certainly isn't uncommon since girls hockey isn't nearly as widespread, but I think she's the only incoming player who didn't play on a single girls team last year.

The six players I mentioned in the preseason thread (Gross, Desorcie, Weaver, Reihl, Christoffersen, Smiddy) were the only Lady Icers making it. Katie Vaughan's mom isn't too happy about that.

Yikes. And yes, she's definitely talking about Josh Brandwene - he was obviously front-of-mind for her today, and this tweet came right after a lengthy DM conversation we had about the situation (which I'll keep OTR, of course). But this was a pubic tweet and not even @ me, so I'm not doing anything the least bit suspect by posting it.

TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gross Named Captain; Women's Hockey Adds 12 to Roster

Post  TYTKyle on Fri 01 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

Mrs. Vaughan has now gone from "anger" through to "acceptance" in the course of one tweet.

In all seriousness, I do think they should have found a way to get Vaughan on the roster. She's of that quality - she passed on DIII and CHA offers to play ACHA at PSU before the donation was announced. The problem is, it's hard to find fault with any of the other three goalies. Paniccia looked pretty good on an awful team at the NCAA DI level last year. Whitlinger has been a USA Hockey selects invite and could be considered the best recruit of the entire class. Meyer seems quite accomplished as well (like I said, I don't know as much about her).

One thing that really has to happen: make sure they figure out a way to have an ACHA women's team next year and do right by the numerous Lady Icers who didn't make it (the buzz right now is that it's in jeopardy due to ice time issues). If they have to practice in Altoona for a year until we have two sheets on campus, so be it, that's better than nothing.

TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brittany on Sun 03 Jun 2012, 11:13 pm

First of all - yay for the full women's roster being out FINALLY!!

I guess, from the tweets, the women themselves didn't know until recently?

I have to say, honestly, I am very impressed about the amount of Americans on the team. There are what, 2 Canadians? That's impressive. I can't speak to any of the talent on a personal level, but I know that those of the Pittsburgh system tend to be stellar, if Cornell's current rising sophomore goalie is an indication (though she hasn't played any minutes of game time YET, she's been great in pre-season stuff and other games prior to that and she's a Pittsburgh-area person).

As far as the Lady Icers who did not make the team, it really is a hard decision. If Brandwene does not believe them to be at DI level of play, I am not really one to judge. It still is harsh, but I guess we will see how well he chose his team this coming fall and the following few years.

Given what I heard in the past, I am shocked and a bit upset by the fact that there might not be an ACHA level women's team. I was under the impression that there would be "at least one" ACHA team for men and women. Ice time will obviously be difficult accounting for anywhere from 3-5 teams, but I think it would be a huge disservice. Especially given the number of away games that both NCAA DI teams have.

And as I've already express on other media sources, I think seventeen freshmen is absolutely ridiculous. It is probably the worst model there is. That is including some of the women who have used up time at other DI programs, right? That's horrible recruiting, I'm sorry. I cannot express enough how bad that is going to be when trying to recruit new talent.

Brittany
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 3:45 am

Brittany wrote:And as I've already express on other media sources, I think seventeen freshmen is absolutely ridiculous. It is probably the worst model there is. That is including some of the women who have used up time at other DI programs, right? That's horrible recruiting, I'm sorry. I cannot express enough how bad that is going to be when trying to recruit new talent.
Actually, it's not. 17 true freshmen. The three UConn players all played two seasons there and are now juniors (even Gross, as she played the first half of last year with the Huskies and transferred mid-season). That just leaves the two seniors, Reihl and Christoffersen, and sophomores Desorcie, Weaver and Smiddy.

If we accept that most of the "true" Icers (the ones who started pre-donation) aren't going to play huge roles on the men's team next year, I think Gadowsky's sacrificing depth to spread out his classes. But I think Brandwene's sacrificing a lot more than that. His choices, essentially, are:

1. Recruit over some of the freshmen. Bring in 10 new players next year to replace two departing seniors, cut the bottom performers. Do that a couple times, and your balance looks a little better. I sincerely hope we've been honest with these incoming players about that situation, if that is in fact what we'll do.
  2. Ride out the storm, with the understanding that various circumstances (attrition, medical redshirts, etc.) will probably lead to your recruiting fewer than 17 players in four years. A large class playing together for a while might not even be the worst thing ever for a new program.
  3. Some sort of middle ground - maybe that's why the total roster is a couple spots lighter than I expected, to allow for recruiting, say, four people to replace two next year without cuts.

Either way, on the men's side, unless I'm missing something, not a single player who plays Division I hockey will subsequently be told that they can't (barring a Max Nicastro in the ranks - BU botched that one pretty horribly now that his charges were dropped though). I like that thought and am willing to be more patient if a couple of injuries put us in the tank because of it.

TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brittany on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 10:15 pm

I guess we'll see how well his recruiting strategy works in the long run.

I did not even think about the potential to recruit and then cut some, just because I feel as if when you're recruited unless you've done something drastic you are on the team if you put in the time and energy and effort. If Brandwene goes that route, your number 1, I do not think I would be able to support the program mentally. I definitely would not respect Brandwene as a coach. I think that sort of mental drain on girls who are getting their education is just absurd, especially given that most of them will presumably be on some sort of scholarship.

I am not worried about the immediate future of the team with this recruiting style, more the future of the team over the long run. Cornell women lost 8 seniors and to me that is huge. It over all amounts to 1 goalie, 5 forwards and 2 defensemen. almost 2 full lines of seniors, and a pair of defensemen. That's huge. But that is less than half of what Penn State would be losing, assuming that we live in a perfect world where no one gets injured/transfers/quits/etc. I understand that the odds of that are exceedingly low, but I cannot imagine one thinking that it is a plausible thing to do. I'm more worried about the longevity of the program because of this route being taken.

Honestly, I can only hope that number 3 is the real thought process.

Brittany
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 12:51 am

Notable: last year's Lady Icers brought in 13 freshmen to replace two seniors and two others who left the team. Of the 13, two (Smiddy and Weaver) made it to DI, two left the team before the end of the season (Alex Warren-Caldwell, who I forgot existed until I pulled up an old post for reference, and Christina Hurle), and the other nine are now in limbo and I assume will either stay at PSU and hope for an ACHA team (or not, and just finish their degrees) or transfer for another shot. I saw a tweet today from of those (Lisa Frank) that indicated another (Paige Harrington) is headed to UMass.

Obviously, there are borderline DI players taking a chance on PSU as their best/only chance to play at that level. What role is the coaching staff playing? I can't answer the question, because I don't know. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I know otherwise.

PS. Just to be fair, Tim Acker, Steve Edgeworth, Josh Daley, Brandon Russo, Forrest Dell and Dan Meiselman. However, of that list, Gadowsky's staff only recruited Russo, who had off-ice issues. I have to think the pre-Gadowsky set knew the situation. Unfortunately, I can't tell you which of the 2011-2012 women's recruits were Brandwene's. But unlike with the men, the previous head coach (Mo Stroemel) is still associated with the program.

TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum