Recruiting Updates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Recruiting Updates

Post  TYTKyle on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 12:41 am

Today I heard from Paul Walsh, father of Edina (MN) High School forward Anthony Walsh. He told me that Anthony has a visit with PSU staff next week and urged me to get him on TYT. I'll probably give him a mention in 3* next Monday with the video below, but I figured I'd give you guys the news first. I don't ever want to be "guy who calls high school kids during dinner," that's just not how I want to approach things, so I've sort of made a decision to begin covering guys in earnest following a commitment (save for linking the odd article about someone known to be interested in PSU on occasion). If this guy wants to contact me, I guess that's a little different, but at the same time, I don't want to be Walsh's PR firm. So I'm struggling with how to proceed on this.

ANYWAY, here's a highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LPoMD6o58

And his eliteprospects.com page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=125188

Guy lives in beast mode, to say the least.

According to the latter link, he's had a pretty great run at some showcases/tournaments of late, and has a tryout invite from the USHL champion Green Bay Gamblers, as well as some interest from Bowling Green. His dad does quite a job marketing him, I have to say. I emailed him back with a couple basic questions (schools of interest, year of entry, etc.), and I'll pass that info along if/when I get it.

I didn't want to make an Anthony Walsh thread, so I figured anything anyone gets on potential Penn Staters could go here.

TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Recruiting Updates

Post  TYTKyle on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 8:29 pm

Toronto Lakeshore (OJHL) forward Dan Tedesco, who visited Penn State about three weeks ago, committed to St. Cloud State today. According to the article, RIT and Sacred Heart were under consideration as well.

Unfortunate miss, but life goes on.

It sounds like the St. Cloud State men’s hockey coaching staff had Daniel Tedesco with the logo.

The school’s logo shares similarities with the one used by the Montreal Canadiens. Despite living in the Toronto suburb of Maple, Tedesco’s family is has an affinity for the NHL team that has a big ‘C’ on its jersey.

“Our family is big Montreal Canadiens fans and as soon as I saw the (‘ST’ surrounded by a capital ‘C’ logo), I saw it as a sign that it was meant to be,” Tedesco said. “But I loved everything about the campus, the dorms, the rink improvements really impressed me. Every day we went by the rink, more walls were built up. It was exciting.”

Tedesco, 18, is a 5-foot-10, 175-pound forward and verbally committed to play for the Huskies after a campus visit Monday-Wednesday. He has played the last two seasons in the Ontario Junior Hockey League.
http://www.sctimes.com/article/20120707/SPORTS/307070031/SCSU-hockey-lands-recruit-Tedesco-logo

TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  amg424 on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 1:28 am

TYTKyle wrote:Toronto Lakeshore (OJHL) forward Dan Tedesco, who visited Penn State about three weeks ago, committed to St. Cloud State today. According to the article, RIT and Sacred Heart were under consideration as well.

Unfortunate miss, but life goes on.

It sounds like the St. Cloud State men’s hockey coaching staff had Daniel Tedesco with the logo.

The school’s logo shares similarities with the one used by the Montreal Canadiens. Despite living in the Toronto suburb of Maple, Tedesco’s family is has an affinity for the NHL team that has a big ‘C’ on its jersey.

“Our family is big Montreal Canadiens fans and as soon as I saw the (‘ST’ surrounded by a capital ‘C’ logo), I saw it as a sign that it was meant to be,” Tedesco said. “But I loved everything about the campus, the dorms, the rink improvements really impressed me. Every day we went by the rink, more walls were built up. It was exciting.”

Tedesco, 18, is a 5-foot-10, 175-pound forward and verbally committed to play for the Huskies after a campus visit Monday-Wednesday. He has played the last two seasons in the Ontario Junior Hockey League.
http://www.sctimes.com/article/20120707/SPORTS/307070031/SCSU-hockey-lands-recruit-Tedesco-logo

He does seem like he would have been a good recruit for the team. Does it strike anyone else as odd the fact that the team logo was what helped sway him? SCSU has a dedicated fanbase and a remodeled building, but little else going for it. I found the logo reasoning very odd.

amg424
Admin

View user profile http://prideofpegula.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  amg424 on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 2:23 am

TYTKyle wrote:Today I heard from Paul Walsh, father of Edina (MN) High School forward Anthony Walsh. He told me that Anthony has a visit with PSU staff next week and urged me to get him on TYT. I'll probably give him a mention in 3* next Monday with the video below, but I figured I'd give you guys the news first. I don't ever want to be "guy who calls high school kids during dinner," that's just not how I want to approach things, so I've sort of made a decision to begin covering guys in earnest following a commitment (save for linking the odd article about someone known to be interested in PSU on occasion). If this guy wants to contact me, I guess that's a little different, but at the same time, I don't want to be Walsh's PR firm. So I'm struggling with how to proceed on this.

ANYWAY, here's a highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27LPoMD6o58

And his eliteprospects.com page: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=125188

Guy lives in beast mode, to say the least.

According to the latter link, he's had a pretty great run at some showcases/tournaments of late, and has a tryout invite from the USHL champion Green Bay Gamblers, as well as some interest from Bowling Green. His dad does quite a job marketing him, I have to say. I emailed him back with a couple basic questions (schools of interest, year of entry, etc.), and I'll pass that info along if/when I get it.

I didn't want to make an Anthony Walsh thread, so I figured anything anyone gets on potential Penn Staters could go here.

Wow. Cannot believe that I forgot to respond to this. I have watched the video. Three times. I think. He is very talented. I'm really impressed. Yeah, and "lives in beast mode" is an understatement. Haha

He is a very physical presence it seems. I'm curious if he would fit into GG's system well. GG seems to emphasize speed and opportunism, over physicality. Other than this from the 2009 NCAA Tournament, I haven't heard him mention checking. I would be glad to see him on the team at Penn State.

I'm curious. If they're from Minnesota, why does there appear to be little interest in attending "the U?" I mean, I can think of many reasons why I think that Penn State is a superior experience overall and for hockey, but I thought a big part of Minnesotan hockey culture was aspiring to attend Minnie or join our friends in Grand Forks a la Zach Parise. Perhaps they just realize that Penn State will become the perennial hockey power in the B1G. cheers

amg424
Admin

View user profile http://prideofpegula.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 2:47 am

Back when I first started the blog, a Wisconsin fan said to me that PSU is the "new St. Cloud State." The comparison, of course, is due to the similarly large splash SCSU made when they moved up to DI with the construction of the National Hockey Center and Herb Brooks' involvement in helping to get funding for the NHC from St. Paul/coaching there for one of their transition years, followed by a couple decades of decidedly mixed results. Of course, I also have to point out that former Icers coach Morris Kurtz was the AD that oversaw SCSU's move to DI, and from what I understand, he was back in State College a couple times in the early stages of the process to have his brain picked.

Here's a nice story covering most of that following Brooks' death, including quotes from Kurtz: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2003/08/12/brooks_stcloud_ap/

Anyway, I'd like to think we'll beat their track record. I'm biased, of course, but I don't get why anyone would choose SCSU over PSU, even now. I'm okay with going on the record predicting that even with PSU getting blasted in 2013-14, the two programs will have similar records/accomplishments 2013-2017 (FWIW, SCSU will probably get roughed up in their league too - they weren't even considered worthy of it initially). There's no comparison between the universities, the arenas, the exposure and most of the other peripheral stuff.

Their logo looks more like the Canadiens, I'll give them that.

TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TYTKyle on Thu 12 Jul 2012, 3:03 am

amg424 wrote:He is a very physical presence it seems. I'm curious if he would fit into GG's system well. GG seems to emphasize speed and opportunism, over physicality. Other than this from the 2009 NCAA Tournament, I haven't heard him mention checking. I would be glad to see him on the team at Penn State.
It's interesting, because while Gadowsky always cites the 1980s Edmonton Oilers as a major influence on his coaching, he's pulled a lot of guys with size who could be described as physical. Among forwards, Jon Milley is 6'4", 220. Max Gardiner's not quite that big, but is definitely a power forward. Casey Bailey's big. Curtis Loik is well built and plays a strength-based game. Zach Saar is 6'5". Among defensemen, Mark Yanis and Dave Thompson are decidedly good-sized shutdown guys. Just based on that, I think the coming teams will look a little different from last year's Icers, where Justin Kirchhevel was the largest of the star forwards (although a big line with Steinour-Saad-Collins came up huge - haha - all year playing a much different style than Kirch, Olczyk, Holstrom, Johnson, Friedman, etc.).

I think a fair way of stating things is this: First, you have to be able to skate. Second, you have to be able to skate. Third, if you passed the first two filters and also add size, even better.

TYTKyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Anthony Walsh

Post  rudy55 on Sat 14 Jul 2012, 8:01 am

Thanks for watching the video and the kind words. Yes, many Minn kids wanna play for the Gophers. It appears, though, that they are amply (maybe even over) committed right now, especially with forwards.

The visit and hockey camp experience went great. If you know folks who were there, they'll certainly remember Anthony and his performance.

Here's a newer video to whet your appetite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUfeCPTEXA&feature=plcp

rudy55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  cagney on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 11:22 am

With the Welsh decommitment is there any chance that Bo Pellah may come in a year earlier than anticipated? I don't know if he'd need to accelerate his schooling or not but he's off to a nice start this season and had a very solid season as a 16 year old in the BCHL last year. He could be ready by this time next season, though I never have an issue with a player taking an extra year in juniors when the option is available and the player is willing.

As things stand they'd only have seven defensemen on the roster next year so it seems to me they should be looking for someone. I suppose a lot of what happens will depend on what the players who'll be on the team this year show once games get started.

cagney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bounnak on Mon 08 Oct 2012, 11:36 am

You could certainly do worse than the be "the next SCSU". St Cloud State has been a very competitive hockey program for a number of years now, and has produced top level college hockey players who have gone on to be successful in the NHL. They have usually been a winning, mid-level WCHA program that contends for the upper echelon and is perennially contending for the NCAA tournament.

bounnak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum